10 May 2012
Legazpi City --The local government units have been urged to formulate or finalize their climate change adaptation action plan for endorsement to the Office of the President for funding and immediate implementation.
Senator Loren Legarda, chairman of the Senate committee on Climate Change, in her sorties here, keynoted over the weekend the Workshop on Peer-to Peer Learning Exchange on Reducing Vulnerabilities and Adapting to Climate Change.
“I hope that through this workshop, our local governments could draw up their respective action plans with proposed projects that the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council or NDRRMC could endorse to the President for possible funding from the national DRR fund,” said Legarda.
The workshop focused on building a resilient Mindanao after being stricken with disaster caused by typhoon Sendong which included discussion on pioneering initiatives on climate change adaptation.
“Our visiting local government disaster managers can learn much from the many pioneering initiatives that effectively address the challenge of reducing risk, reducing poverty, and rebuilding communities without engendering new vulnerabilities,” the senator added.
Among the said initiatives discussed by Albay Gov. Joey Sarte Salceda, United Nation Global Champion on Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation are updates on mitigation measures.
Legarda likewise disclosed that the government has allocated $500 million from its Catastrophe Deferred Drawdown Option at the World Bank intended for rebuilding of communities from previous disaster and preparation for the next hazard.
Moreover, she stressed the need for guidance from the involved agencies such as the NDRRMC, Department of Budget and Management, and Department of Finance for local governments to properly access the said resources. (MAL/SAA-PIA V/Albay)
- 15/05/2012 19:43 - DA allots P10M for Bicol livelihood projects
- 15/05/2012 19:42 - DPWH V fast tracks projects to address flooding
- 15/05/2012 19:41 - Pamamahagi ng forestry seedlings, patuloy sa CamNorte
- 15/05/2012 19:39 - 3rd Bicol Prosecutors Convention sa Sorsogon isinagawa
- 10/05/2012 23:14 - Celebration of Word Red Cross Day benefits indigenous peoples
- 10/05/2012 23:11 - Grid Corp. naglaan ng P355M sa pagpapalawak ng South Luzon substation
- 10/05/2012 23:10 - Phl hindi na aangkat ng bigas sa susunod na taon-DA Sec. Alcala
- 10/05/2012 23:08 - Sorsogon panglima sa may pinakamababang insidente ng kahirapan
- 07/05/2012 21:01 - DSWD expands Kalahi-CIDDS coverage to 20 new municipalities
- 07/05/2012 20:59 - DA distributes P15.9 M worth of farm machinery in Camarines Norte