15 May 2012
PILI, CAMARINES SUR -- The Department of Agriculture has allotted P10 million for livelihood projects of the fisheries sector in the region.
The funds will be distributed among eleven fisherfolks' organizations in the region, nine local government units and one university from the province of Camarines Norte.
Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) V regional director Dennis Del Socorro said that the livelihood projects will be concentrated on mangrove propagation in the various coastlines in the region, construction of fish cages with ten units of bottom set gillnets, four units of engines for motorized banca, two units of fishing vessel and three sets of bamboo fish cages.
Certificate of awards were also awarded to the fisherfolk recipients of Camarines Norte, including the awarding of Aquasilvi culture project, mangrove rehabilitation project, seaweeds input assistance and various fishing paraphernalia. A community-based multi species hatchery project was also awarded to Camarines Norte State College (CNSC).
Fishing paraphernalia which include ten bottom set gill nets, four units of marine engine, two units of motorized banca and three units of fish cage net were also raffled off.
Aside from the said projects, DA Secretary Proceso Alcala also distributed ten goats to selected fishermen and one module of sheep composed of three (3) females sheep or ewe and one ram for additional source of livelihood.
During his Bicol visit, Alcala also took time to listen to the local government officials and fisherfolks’ concern regarding the services and programs of BFAR and DA. The fruitful exchange of thoughts aims to solicit the real condition of the agriculture sector in the country.
The said visit is also in line with the month long celebration of the Farmer’s and Fisherfolk’s month with the theme “Sapat na Pagkain, Sama Sama Nating Kamtin.”
Alcala is determined to bring into fore the various services of the national government while it steadfastly focuses its efforts to attain self sufficiency in rice, along with other major stables before the end of 2013. (MAL/LSM-PIA Camarines Sur)
- 11/12/2012 09:57 - P1.142-B Albay West Coast Road, napunduhan na
- 07/08/2012 22:29 - TESDA to launch P1.3-B 'Anti-tambay' program for out-of-school youth
- 07/08/2012 22:29 - NFA now sells well-milled rice at P28/kilo
- 07/08/2012 22:26 - Villafuerte at Lee, pinakamayaman at pinakamahirap na gobernador sa Bicol
- 24/06/2012 08:46 - DOLE V holds basic labor laws orientation
- 15/05/2012 19:42 - DPWH V fast tracks projects to address flooding
- 15/05/2012 19:41 - Pamamahagi ng forestry seedlings, patuloy sa CamNorte
- 15/05/2012 19:39 - 3rd Bicol Prosecutors Convention sa Sorsogon isinagawa
- 10/05/2012 23:14 - Celebration of Word Red Cross Day benefits indigenous peoples
- 10/05/2012 23:12 - Fast tracking of climate change action plan urged