LEGAZPI CITY — This early, the Department of Health Center for Health Development (DOH-CHD) regional office here is reminding the public on the danger of firecrackers and advising against their use for the upcoming Yuletide Season.
In a press conference on Tuesday at La RoCa Veranda, Samuel David Banico, DOH-CHD Nurse III, urged holiday revelers, especially children, to totally avoid buying and lighting dangerous firecrackers.
“DOH-Bicol aims to have zero firecracker-related injuries and maintain zero-casualty in welcoming the year 2020,” he added.
Banico said they continue to remind the public about President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order (EO) No. 28, “Providing for the Regulation and Control of the Use of Firecrackers and Other Pyrotechnic Devices”.
EO 28 bans individuals from using firecrackers or setting up their own fireworks displays, which had been a tradition of Filipinos during “events of personal, religious, cultural and national importance,” especially during New Year’s Eve and even Chinese New Year.
“It is highly advised to just watch fireworks displays in their communities instead of buying and lighting firecrackers. Picking up unexploded fireworks in the streets must also be avoided for it might still explode and might cost an injury or a life,” Banico said.
During the last celebration of Christmas and New Year from December 21, 2018 to January 5, 2019, the DOH-CHD in Bicol recorded a total of 24 fireworks-related injuries for the whole region.
Camarines Sur had nine cases recorded, Albay, eight; Camarines Norte, three; Masbate, two; Sorsogon, one; and Catanduanes, one; with no reported deaths.
Among the 24 cases, 20 were reported to have blast/burn with no amputation, two eye injuries, one “watusi” ingestion, and one blast/burn with amputation. (PNA/ Connie Calipay )